Tuesday , March 19 2019
Home / Victoria News / Man charged over Docklands wheelchair hit-run

Man charged over Docklands wheelchair hit-run

Mr Antony, 33, was left lying in the middle of the road and his mangled wheelchair was found 20 metres away.

Police alleged the driver, who they say was Mr Pedersen, then dumped the car several streets away before making a phone call. The car was found about 100 metres from the Melbourne West police station.

Mr Pedersen faced court on Monday night charged with failing to stop and render assistance at the scene of an accident and other traffic-related offences.

He was charged with using a false document to rent a car from the Royal Automotive Club of Victoria the day before the crash on October 29, hiring the vehicle under the identity of another person.

Court documents also show Mr Pedersen was a learner driver and allegedly drove without L-plates on the car and without an experienced driver beside him on the day of the alleged hit-run. 

Loading

A legal representative for Mr Pedersen said it was his first time in custody. He did not make an application for bail and was remanded to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates Court for a mention at a later date. 

Mr Antony, a wheelchair footballer, survived the crash, but suffered a broken pelvis, broken hand and spinal cord injury.

Mr Antony remains in hospital in a stable condition.

“When I look at the footage of it I just think it’s a miracle I am alive,” he told Fairfax Media from his hospital bed last week.

“The way my body was thrown into the air I can’t believe I didn’t hit my head. I am so grateful just to be here today and be surrounded by my family.

“The last thing I remember was looking to the right just before I crossed the road. I didn’t see any cars coming so I started to cross… then I saw a flash of blue in the corner of my eye as the car came racing towards me … I tried to move my wheelchair back but it was too late.”

With Melissa Cunningham

About admin

Check Also

Calls to ban controversial nutritionist from University of Melbourne

Those four universities cancelled Ms Cronau’s bookings following a campaign to stop her speaking. “We …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *