Poland: Polish firefighters have blamed substandard electrical wiring and lax security procedures at an “escape room” for a fire that killed five teenage girls and injured a man.
The bodies of the 15-year-old victims were found Friday in Koszalin, in northern Poland, after firefighters extinguished a blaze in an adjacent room. Asphyxiation is the probable cause of the deaths.
A young man was hospitalised with burns. Initially described as a 25-year-old, the hospital said he was 26.
Poland’s firefighting chief, Leszek Suski, said on Saturday that electrical wiring at the location was makeshift and too close to flammable materials, while the man in charge was probably not there when the fire broke out.