New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has vowed to change the nation’s gun laws after confirming the “primary perpetrator” in Christchurch’s terror attack used five weapons.
“I can tell you one thing right now, our gun laws will change,” Ms Ardern told reporters in Wellington on Saturday.
“There have been attempts to change our laws in 2005, 2012 and after an inquiry in 2017. Now is the time for change.”
- The terror attack last 36 minutes before alleged shooter 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant was arrested.
- He used five guns in the attack – two semi-automatic weapons and two shotguns. A level action firearm was also found.
- They were weapons he obtained legally, having acquired a Category A gun licence in November 2017. He began buying guns about a month later.
- The accused shooter intended to continue his attack and had modified guns when he was arrested by two local police officers, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said.
- There were two other firearms were in his vehicle.
- Tarrant is from the northern NSW town of Grafton, but had been living in the coastal NZ town of Dunedin before the attack.
- He is facing one count of murder but there will be further charges.
- He fronted court on Saturday morning and made no application for bail. He is due to appear in court again on 5 April.
- Children are among the 49 killed in yesterday’s terrorist attacks on two mosques in Christchurch.
- Four for the 49 people who were killed died on the way to hospital.
- Thirty-nine people remain in hospital, 11 are in intensive care.
- Haji-Daoud Nabi, 71, ran into the line of fire to save others inside the Al Noor mosque before he was killed.
- Syrian refugee Khaled Mustafa was killed while praying at the Al Noor mosque with his two sons, one of whom is injured and the other missing.
- Three-year-old boy Mucad Ibrahim is missing, feared dead.
- The father of missing 14-year-old Sayyad Milne believes his son is among the dead.
- Two boys, aged two and 13, are among the injured being treated at Christchurch hospital.
- A five-year-old child has been flown to the Starship Children’s Hospital in Auckland.
Sayyad Milne’s father has spoken to NZ media.
Through tears John Milne told NZME he is almost certain his “brave little soldier” was killed at the Al Noor mosque.
“I’ve lost my little boy, he’s just turned 14,” he said.
“I haven’t heard officially yet that he’s actually passed but I know he has because he was seen.”
We will soon bring our coverage of the events in Christchurch and here in Australia to a close.
More than $2.5 million in donations has poured in to help the victims of the Christchurch massacre.
A crowdfunding page set up by the New Zealand Council of Victim Support Groups has raised more than $1.6 million.
A separate appeal on LaunchGood has raised more than $1.1 million so far.
Syrian refugee Khaled Mustafa and his family thought they had found a safe haven when they arrived in New Zealand only a few months ago.
But Mustafa was killed while praying at the Al Noor mosque with his two sons, one of whom is injured and the other missing, Syrian Solidarity New Zealand spokesman Ali Akil has told our colleagues at Stuff.co.nz.
Back in Christchurch, where Wasseim Alsati and his four-year-old daughter suffered multiple gunshot wounds in Friday’s massacre.
Alsati, also known as Wasseim Sati, posted a video to Facebook from his hospital bed asking friends and family to “please pray for me and my daughter”.
When Anning said many of his supporters in his home state of Queensland were under the age of 35, one person from the crowd noted that the Christchurch shooter is 28 years old.
“It’s the younger generation taking up the fight,” the supporter said.
Anning responded: “Well he’s obviously a little on the crazy side, but yeah.”