Thursday , January 23 2020
Home / Sport / Gallen-Hall slugfest whets the appetite for longer rematch

Gallen-Hall slugfest whets the appetite for longer rematch

“We’d probably look at three-minute rounds, but  I just need a break. I can’t change it, so there’s no point worrying about it.

Barry Hall lands a blow on Paul Gallen in Melbourne on Friday night.

Barry Hall lands a blow on Paul Gallen in Melbourne on Friday night.Credit:AAP

“To go down there and win on one judge’s card and draw on the other two, it was all stacked against me, as I’ve said over the last few weeks.”

Gallen was the firm favourite given his more recent activity in and out of the ring and the fact he is four years younger. However, Hall used his height and reach to good advantage and landed several telling blows.

It was good for the sport of boxing that it was a good fight.

Angelo Hyder

“Worst case that it was a draw, but I thought Hall won it four rounds to two,” said Hall’s trainer Angelo Hyder.

“There was one round that Gallen won clearly, there were a couple of closer ones. It was good for the sport of boxing that it was a good fight.

“Barry showed he was up to it. He believed he could win it, and he did it off seven weeks notice.

“The funny thing is Gallen was the one calling him ‘Noodles’ and he said Barry would be stopped when he ran out of gas, but it was Barry who won the last two rounds. He hurt Gallen with the last punch right on the bell, his knees buckled and he knocked his mouthguard straight out of his mouth.

“Had there been another minute in that round, it would have been very interesting.

“Because of the quality of the fight, it sets up a rematch or a fight with Sonny Bill Williams for either of them.”

Several boxing aficionados suggested the promoters take the rematch to Pointsbet Stadium for a potential rematch dubbed “Shark Park in the Dark”. However, the adjoining leagues club is being redeveloped and the venue will likely be out of play, meaning other options will need to be explored.

Loading

Meanwhile, Friday night’s fight card also provided an opportunity to showcase the Maloney brothers to a wider audience. Andrew Maloney took out the interim WBA super flyweight world title with a TKO after an eye injury stopped Elton Dharry in the ninth round. Maloney remains undefeated and is considered one of the most promising prospects on the Australian scene. Maloney’s twin brother, Jason, also enjoyed a win, knocking out Nicaraguan Dixon Flores to retain his WBA Oceania bantamweight title. The result raises hopes of another world title shot after he lost a controversial split decision to IBF bantamweight champion Emmanuel Rodriguez in Florida last year.

“It was great that people got to see the Maloneys, a couple of boxers that are going to go on and win world titles and be the future of boxing for years to come,” said Hyder, who also trains the siblings.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading

About admin

Check Also

Australian Open should be very wary of changing the date

These massive figures are commercial gold for the Australian Open, increasing their global audience and …