Thursday , July 16 2020
Breaking News
Home / Sport / Vangelic delivers perfect start to the year for champion dad

Vangelic delivers perfect start to the year for champion dad

It took $400,000 to secure Vangelic and Konstantatos was the first of the big syndicate to take a share, so the filly sports his silks.

In her racing debut on the Kensington track at Randwick on Wednesday, she looked every piece a racehorse. She tracked the speed and found the front at the 300m and when challenged by Godolphin debutant Parakeet, she powered away.

“That is a great feeling. To have Vancouver’s first winner in my colours is sensational. I’m just so proud,” Konstantatos said.


“She won’t get to the Gold Coast but hopefully she might be one to watch later in the year.”

Vangelic had 1½ lengths to spare in victory from Parakeet; Jemss was 2¾ lengths away in third. But celebrations were tempered by concerns for odds-on favourite Yumi, which only galloped a couple of hundred metres before Kerrin McEvoy pulled her up.

Yumi was taken to Randwick Equine Hospital and treated for a pelvis injury.

It is a strong ownership group in Vangelic, including David Lilley, who has had four Randwick winners during the festive season. It started with Quackerjack in the Villiers Stakes, before French stayer Vadiyann and Mr Dependable won on subsequent Saturdays.

“It has been a great run. I actually only got into this filly late because there was something left in her after a jump-out in Melbourne, which I took,” Lilley said. “It was a good win and we might have a nice two-year-old going forward for the carnival as well.

“I’ve got some good horses coming through at the moment.”

John O’Shea had a winning treble for the afternoon with Killer Instinct, Twentyfour Carat and Private Thoughts, which only ran because Tuesday’s Gosford meeting was called off after race two.

Trainer John O'Shea made a flying start to 2020 at Randwick on Wednesday.

Trainer John O’Shea made a flying start to 2020 at Randwick on Wednesday.Credit:AAP

“He was in race four and got to the track. He had a trip up and down the highway and was ready to go this morning, so we ran him,” O’Shea said. “It is the first time I have had that, but at the moment you just leave them in the race because you don’t know if meetings are going ahead with all the fires.”

Meanwhile, the unprecedented fire situation around the state is set to affect racing for the next month.

The traditional Gundagai New Year’s Day races had to be called off because of poor air quality on Wednesday and stewards have already postponed Moruya on January 6 .

“We are monitoring the situation but the South Coast, in particular, is of concern. I think there will be more changes to program down there in coming weeks,” Racing NSW chief steward Marc Van Gestel said

Most Viewed in Sport


About admin

Check Also

Chris Anderson slams ‘disrespectful’ Bulldogs meddling claims

“I’m happy to help the club in any way, but I’m certainly not a shadow …