“He [Dick] loved the bush, he loved adventure and he loved Kangaroo Island.
“Clayton, 43, was one of Adelaide’s leading plastic and reconstructive surgeons, specialising in hand surgery. He was supervisor of surgical training and clinical lead of hand surgery at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital. He also consulted privately.”
“Dick was married to his beloved wife Helen for more than 55 years, having met her in 1959. They have four sons – Derek, Justin, Lachlan and Clayton – and seven grandchildren – Zac, Andre, Rose, Jasmine, Carlie; and Clayton’s daughters with Christie, Sophia and Madeline.”
Country Fire Service crews discovered a body in a burnt-out vehicle on the Playford Highway at Gosse, situated on the north-west side of Kangaroo Island, and a second person was located deceased nearby, not far from the burnt-out vehicle.
State Premier Steven Marshall said the deaths were a reminder to stay vigilant.
“Again, it really does reiterate the very important message that people listen to the alerts, which are coming out now from the CFS, this is a very dangerous situation on Kangaroo Island, and please stay alert to what is going on on the island, and to instructions from SAPOL.”
Mr Marshall said the fires on Kangaroo Island had been burning for more than two weeks, but there was a “very serious escalation in the danger” on Friday as weather conditions deteriorated.
On Saturday about 500 people were fighting the fires which have so far burned through up to 100,000 hectares.
The blaze burning on the western half of the island has been downgraded to watch and act, however, it remains out of control.
On Saturday afternoon South Australian police urged people to reconsider travel plans to Kangaroo Island.
“Extensive road closures are in place to allow emergency service crews to move across the fire ground and to ensure safety of the public.
“Emergency Services cannot guarantee your safety.”
Major ferry service provider, SeaLink said all ferry services would be operating as scheduled, however priority would be given to Emergency Service Vehicles and personnel.
In a statement the company said it was working with authorities to evacuate people from the island.
“We have been advised there are 200-300 people on the island who are currently in the relief centre at Kingscote and require immediate passage,” the statement said.
“We are working with authorities as a priority to transport these people to the mainland via ferry and coach services.”
Tate Papworth covers breaking news for The Age.