“We are following guidance from the Japan Ministry of Health on plans for disembarkation protocols to provide medical care for these new cases,” Princess Cruises said in a statement.
“The Japan Ministry of Health has been the lead public health authority defining the testing protocols for all guests and crew on Diamond Princess. Questions on the timeline, test results and reporting protocols should be directed to them.”
The Melbourne passenger, from Sydenham in the outer north-west, was taken off the cruise with her parents and younger brother on Tuesday night and taken to hospital about two hours from the port.
She is in isolation while her three family members are under observation and tested, according to her grandfather, Peter, who did not want his surname used.
“She was feeling OK. But what I understand is that now she’s in isolation in the hospital and the other three are under observation there,” Peter told The Age.
“All of them are traumatised by the turn of events.”
He was informed by his daughter on Tuesday night, but said he had not heard from any government authorities.
“We got a call from my daughter on the ship, we’ve had no other contact with the consulate in Japan … Nobody has contacted us. I don’t even know if they’ve contacted them.
“The [workers] on the ship were very good with them and tried to do their very best and we appreciate that.”
Peter hoped to speak to the family again later on Wednesday.
Each passenger has been issued with a thermometer and asked to regularly check their temperature and report it immediately if it is more than 37.5 degrees.
Peter said his granddaughter’s temperature hit 37.6 degrees and the family reported she had a slight fever, and testing confirmed she had coronavirus two days later.
He pointed out there were still hundreds of Australians on board the ship and many of them were 60 or 70 years old and would be vulnerable to the virus.
“It’s very horrendous for them.”
Peter said his family was struggling in the two small rooms without fresh air, and just a small window.
“No exercise, no fresh air and nothing to do.”
The latest case on the ship comes as the World Health Organisation warned the first vaccine for the coronavirus could be 18 months away, and United Nations agencies decided to name the novel coronavirus “Covid-19”.
More than 3700 passengers, including about 220 Australians, remain stranded on the ship, which has been docked off the coast of Yokohama for a week since an elderly man tested positive.
Unless there are unforeseen developments, passengers will be able to disembark next Wednesday, February 19, after two weeks of being quarantined.
Princess Cruises earlier this week confirmed another 66 people had been diagnosed.
In Australia, 15 people have been diagnosed with novel coronavirus.
Five of those are in Queensland, four each in Victoria and NSW, and two in South Australia.
Five of those people have recovered while the others are in a stable condition.
Princess Cruises has been contacted.
Rachel is a breaking news reporter for The Age.