Wednesday , May 27 2020
Breaking News
Home / Latest News / Man arrested after allegedly planning terror attack on electrical substation

Man arrested after allegedly planning terror attack on electrical substation

Mr Lee said it was believed Mr Lucas had been considering a number of plots, including using an improvised explosive device to disrupt an electrical substation on the South Coast.

Police searched two properties over the weekend in relation to an alleged terror plot.

Police searched two properties over the weekend in relation to an alleged terror plot. Credit:NSW Police

“That would have had an impact on the distribution of electricity in the coastal area,” he said.

The anniversary of the Christchurch terror attack was one factor in the 21-year-old’s arrest, but Mr Lee said there was no information that anything would have occurred on March 15.

“Obviously the upcoming anniversary, the ideology and the alignment of that ideology to Christchurch was one of the factors that we took into account as to when we went over when we did,” Mr Lee said.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Walton said Mr Lucas was unemployed, was not well-known to police and lived at home with his family.

“This person had anti-government sentiment, he was anti-Semitic, he has neo-Nazi interests and he has anti-Indigenous interests,” he said. “Unfortunately, he has evolved with an ideology that is one of hate against a lot of different groups.”

Mr Walton said Mr Lucas had been in contact with various groups online and police were searching multiple properties along the South Coast to determine if the man had any real-world associates.

“It’s fair to say that the online environment is a Petri dish of hate in our community,” he said.

Police began investigating Mr Lucas in February after they became aware of a number of online posts containing an extreme political and anti-government ideology.

On Saturday, police searched properties and vehicles in Sanctuary Point and Parma – both near the NSW South Coast town of Nowra. A number of electronic devices and three soft paintball firearms were seized at the Sanctuary Point property. Meanwhile, four registered firearms were seized at the Parma residence, which police allege is the home of an associate of Mr Lucas.

Investigations into the matter continue with international agencies also assisting.

Mr Lucas appeared at Nowra Local Court on Monday where he was refused bail. Police will apply to have the matter heard in a Sydney court at a later date.

With AAP

Most Viewed in National

Loading

About admin

Check Also

Spike in South Korea virus cases shows perils of reopening

“While we’re focusing on preventing community-wide infections, facilities that are used by unspecified individuals are …