Saturday , July 11 2020
Home / National News / As royal commission starts, fire survivors say virus is slowing relief

As royal commission starts, fire survivors say virus is slowing relief

Victoria’s Inspector-General for Emergency Management has already begun a review of the state’s handling of the bushfires that ravaged the east of the state, where about 1.2 million hectares were burnt.

Loading

The federal and state inquiries will look into the disaster response efforts of fire agencies and examine governments’ preparedness for increasingly intense bushfire seasons.

In the early part of this year, locals in Victoria and NSW criticised the speed at which financial relief was being provided to businesses and individuals who either had their property damaged or revenue reduced.

In Mallacoota, which became the international face of the country’s Black Summer, publican Lou Battel said many businesses have given up trying to get relief payments due to delays and difficulty dealing with government agencies.

Both the publican and a Gippsland mayor say federal and state agencies have reduced their focus on bushfire relief due to added workload and the demands of responding to the pandemic.

Mr Battel said a Victorian government department staffer had told him his department was struggling to manage bushfire relief while simultaneously dealing with the public health crisis.

Mallacoota Hotel owner Lou Battel sits in the empty bar.

Mallacoota Hotel owner Lou Battel sits in the empty bar.Credit:Rachel Mounsey

Mr Battel applied for the Victorian government’s $10,000 bushfire recovery grant because he laid off all but six of his 30 staff. Yet months later, his application has still not been processed.

“The government has made it really hard – it’s bureaucratic, slow and confusing,” he said.

“A lot of businesses around here have just given up on it. I’ve persevered reluctantly but I’ve yet to see any money and it’s bloody April.”

Wellington Shire mayor Alan Hall said some businesses in his shire, which had been badly affected by a drop in tourism in East Gippsland, had received concessional loans from the state government. But he said recovery efforts appeared to be stunted by the pandemic.

“It’s fair to say there’s been a change in focus by the government but there’s still significant activity,” he said.

Former Australian Federal Police boss Mark Colvin, who heads the national Bushfire Recovery Agency, told the ABC this week that more than 233,000 people and 12,000 businesses had so far received help.

He said nearly three-quarters of the $2 billion relief fund had been committed to projects and more than $500 million had been put into the pockets of businesses and individuals.

Chef Russell Marriott, who lost his home in the Mallacoota pub, said most of the people he knew who lost their homes had positive experiences dealing with government agencies. He chose not to apply for government support.

Russell Marriott in front of his burnt out home two days after the fire in Mallacoota.

Russell Marriott in front of his burnt out home two days after the fire in Mallacoota.Credit:Justin McManus

He was assisted by charities such as St Vincent’s and the Salvation Army, and said state government departments were well-received when they visited the town in the wake of the fires.

“You don’t expect for them to just throw money at people and give it away,” he said.

“It’s been a long and arduous process for some people but [the government] has really been quite good in this ordeal.”

Comment has been sought from the Victorian Government.

With AAP

Most Viewed in National

Loading

About admin

Check Also

Manly cuts speeds to 30km/h to become NSW’s slowest suburb

A map showing the new 30km/h speed zone area in the busy pedestrian areas stretching …