Dr van Diemen reported nine fresh cases of coronavirus in the state on Saturday, none of them linked to the clusters at the Cedar Meats abattoir in Brooklyn or McDonalds fast food outlets.
The Deputy CHO also said there were no new cases associated with the four Melbourne aged care homes that had been worrying authorities but the state’s death toll from the virus rose to 19 with the death of a man in his 60s in hospital.
At the request of the dead man’s family, no other details are being disclosed and Dr van Diemen would not say if the case was linked to any of the state’s COVID-19 clusters.
A Melbourne retirement village is asking family and friends to voluntarily postpone planned visits to their Balwyn residences due to coronavirus.
None of Aveo’s aged care homes, which operate across Australia, have had a positive case of COVID-19.
An Aveo spokeswoman said the number one priority was their staff and residents’ wellbeing.
“Due to a number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in aged care communities across Melbourne in recent days, we are seeking the cooperation of all residents, family and friends to voluntarily postpone planned visits to Freedom Balwyn specifically as this village is in the location that is being monitored,” a spokeswoman said.
Management sent letters to residents on Friday with the request.
Nine people remain in Victorian hospitals with coronavirus, three of them in intensive care.
Dr van Diemen warned public transport users and the order Victorian community to prepare for “fundamental changes” to everyday life as the state begins to get moving again after the lifting of many restrictions on June 1.
“We are under no illusions that the way we function as a society and that includes how we use public transport will need to change fundamentally,” she said.
“This is not an immediate resumption of life as usual or life as, as it was before COVID and that’s something that’s been acknowledged across the world.”
Dr van Diemen said that planning was underway, in consultation with public transport providers and unions, for a more COVID-safe commuter network.
“We are working very closely with, with the Department of Transport and providers and unions to look at ways to alter the way the public transport is is used … including cleaning, including requirements for how people seek to distance themselves on public transport,” the Deputy CHO said.
She said that the current medical advice from the nation’s top infection control experts was that masks were not needed by public transport users but that the final position for a post-lockdown plan for trains, trams and buses was not yet finished.
“Our advice on top of that is for commuters to again be exceedingly vigilant,” she said.
“Please don’t take any form of public transport if you’re sick.
“Please be very very aware physical distancing and and ensure really good cough and sneeze etiquette if you do happen to be on public transport and need to cough or sneeze.”
Noel Towell is State Political Editor for The Age