Saturday , June 6 2020
Breaking News
Home / Sport / Formula One drivers back ‘ghost races’ for restart

Formula One drivers back ‘ghost races’ for restart

“I think no one in motorsport, no driver, and personally me definitely not, is a fan of ‘ghost races’,” added the former Benetton and McLaren driver.

“However, all the drivers I have spoken to, and I’m constantly in talks with all of them, no one has said ‘No, I don’t want to do it’ or ‘I feel it’s the wrong thing to do’.

“Ghost races are a means to get us back on track earlier than if we wait for fan-attended races. Therefore we are looking for ghost races, and all the drivers accept fully.”

Formula One has so far seen three races cancelled, including the Monaco showcase that would have been this weekend, and seven postponed.

The plan is for teams, mostly Britain-based, to travel to Austria on charter flights and not to come into contact with the local population.

Wurz said holding races, even in such circumstances, was the right thing to do.

“Formula One is a global industry, and like every government in the world, we are all trying to kick-start the industry, the economy, because people, families, mortgages depend on it. And it’s the same in F1,” he said.

Reuters

About admin

Check Also

NRL 2020 as it happened: Munster magic the difference as Storm topple Souths

The final siren has rung out at an empty AAMI Park. Melbourne finish with a …