Saturday , July 4 2020
Breaking News
Home / Sport / Wallabies trio linked to USA move as Rennie pay looms as flash point

Wallabies trio linked to USA move as Rennie pay looms as flash point

A depressed domestic player market seems a certain outcome, but even getting to that point could be a rocky process.

The current 60 per cent agreement is valid until the end of September but must be re-negotiated as soon as RA secures a deal with Foxtel on what the broadcaster will pay for the shortened competition. The deal will have to be re-negotiated again once RA secures a broadcast partner for 2021 and beyond.

Incoming Wallabies coach Dave Rennie.

Incoming Wallabies coach Dave Rennie. Credit:AAP

Another potential flash point is the subject of Wallabies coach Dave Rennie’s salary, which has so far been left intact.

Interim boss Rob Clarke said this week that Rennie’s rumoured $1 million a year package would not be touched, despite the player pay cuts, head office slashing 40 per cent of its head count and Clarke foreshadowing cuts to Super Rugby clubs as the razor gang’s next target.

Rennie’s contract does not start until July but Clarke has ruffled feathers among players by cordoning off the Wallabies high performance program from the cutbacks, which also includes director of Scott Johnson and Rennie’s assistants.

Meanwhile, the United States is continuing to emerge as a genuine market for top Australian talent. The Venice Beach-based Giltinis, owned by Australia’s F45 founder Adam Gilchrist, last week unveiled former Wallaby Stephen Hoiles and Gordon first grade coach Darren Coleman as club coaches.

There’s uncertainty around what 2021 looks like and that’s adding pressure too.

NSW Rugby general manager Tim Rapp

The pair will not join the club until November but they are not wasting any time on recruitment, reaching out to a number of off-contract Australian stars about a potential move to the United States.

The club confirmed their interest in Test-capped trio Robertson, Maddocks and Powell, but said there was no rush to ink deals, with the next MLR season not getting underway until February.

All three are off contract with their Super Rugby clubs and face uncertain futures at Test level. They all missed the cut for Rennie’s “players of national interest” squad in April, while Powell has not been offered a contract for next year, with the Brumbies preparing to welcome back Nic White and investing in up and comer Ryan Lonergan.

Loading

The Waratahs, however, are desperate to keep Maddocks and Robertson, with the former a natural replacement for the departing fullback Kurtley Beale and injury-plagued Robertson considered key to NSW fielding a stronger front row next season.

“They’re two guys in their early 20s who’ve had brushes with the Wallabies,” NSW rugby general manager Tim Rapp said.

“They’re home grown talents and we definitely want to keep them, because we consider them part of a long term strategy for success for NSW.

“The reality is there’s an American team going ahead with some Australian support staff.

“We speak to all of our blokes who are off contract and it’s natural that people are going to want them because they’re bloody good players. On top of that there’s uncertainty around what 2021 looks like and that’s adding pressure too.”

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading

About admin

Check Also

$15m stock crash: Broncos shares plummet amid dramas on and off field

Brian Han, a senior analyst in the equity research team at Morningstar, said the fluctuations …