“The public health advice is that the risk is not over yet so it’s up to all of us to keep it up.”
Seven people remain in hospital, with one in intensive care. So far, 1586 people have recovered and 19 people have died in Victoria.
There have been no new cases recorded in NSW, but one new case and two historical infections in WA, bringing the state’s total to 599 with 31 active cases.
A Melbourne man has tested positive in Queensland, the state’s only new case of coronavirus, after he flew into Bundaberg via Brisbane for a fruit picking job this week. His diagnoses brings Queensland’s total to 1061.
The man, in his 20s, socialised with about 15 family members and friends during an overnight stay, before flying with Virgin to Bundaberg to work at a strawberry farm.
Contact tracing is underway and four people who shared accommodation with him have tested positive.
Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young is telling Queenslanders not to wait for a phone call from a contact tracer and to instead get tested if they have symptoms.
On Friday, a primary school in Melbourne’s north was closed after a prep student tested positive to COVID-19.
In a Facebook post on Saturday morning, Labor MP Ros Spence said that Newbury Primary School in Craigieburn would reopen on Tuesday after the site had been cleaned.
This week health authorities reiterated their concerns about mass gatherings ahead of a planned protest in Melbourne’s CBD.
“Unfortunately, now is not the time for thousands of people to gather together, putting your and others’ health at risk,” Professor Sutton said on Thursday afternoon.
“We are still in the middle of a pandemic and this protest carries real risks for all Victorians, particularly those in vulnerable groups. The restrictions are there to save lives – I urge everyone to consider other ways to show support.”
Police have warned organisers of the Black Lives Matter rally they could each face individual fines of more than $1600 for breaching coronavirus restrictions on gatherings if they go ahead with the protest.
But the organisers, Warriors of the Aboriginal Resistance, remain determined to show solidarity for the US Black Lives Matter movement, and are calling for an end to Aboriginal deaths in custody.
They have urged participants to wear face masks, to use hand sanitiser and to stand in groups of 20 and 1.5m apart.
Melbourne lord mayor Sally Capp said on Saturday that while she supported the Black Lives Matter movement, she did not support people gathering en masse during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I wish we could find an innovative way to bring a loud voice and solidarity to these issues that the organisers of Black Lives Matter want to amplify today that doesn’t involve people gathering en masse,” Cr Capp told radio station JOY FM.
“From a government perspective and right across the community, the health response right now is the absolute priority.”
“I support the ideals and the outcomes that the protest organisers are looking for, but I’m not supporting attendance at the protest.”
She also said the timing was unfortunate.
“Sometimes timing can be very negative for the cause when we are forcing people to choose between the COVID health issue and the Black Lives Matter issue and that seems unfortunate to me because we want to be able to support both,” Cr Capp said.
Nicole Precel is a journalist and audio video producer at The Age. She is also a documentary maker.