Sunday , July 5 2020
Breaking News
Home / National News / Grosvenor mine shut down again a month after explosion

Grosvenor mine shut down again a month after explosion

Workers at a central Queensland coal mine where five men were nearly killed in an explosion last month have been banned from going underground.

New fears of an underground explosion surfaced at the weekend after gas levels began to rise at Anglo American’s Grosvenor Coal Mine near Moranbah.

The mine was immediately shutdown in early May after a methane explosion burnt five men, all in their 40s and 50s. 

The mine was immediately shutdown in early May after a methane explosion burnt five men, all in their 40s and 50s. Credit:Peter Braig

An Anglo American spokeswoman said people were stopped from going underground as part of the mine’s action plan for spontaneous combustion risk after levels of carbon monoxide and other gasses began to rise.

“With the cessation of longwall mining activity after the methane ignition incident on May 6, we have been closely monitoring various gas levels to ensure the ongoing safety and integrity of the mine,” she said.

About admin

Check Also

More Melburnians may make regional switch as home working penny drops

But rather than settle for a cramped inner-city apartment on their budget they are preparing …