Monday , October 26 2020
Home / Sport / Players can terminate contracts after NRL bans top agent Isaac Moses

Players can terminate contracts after NRL bans top agent Isaac Moses

Moses, who manages some of the biggest names in the NRL, including Cameron Smith and nephew Mitchell Moses, faces the possibility of a mass exodus as the game’s stars contemplate seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees if he fails in any likely appeal.

Brisbane’s Matt Lodge would collect an extra $200,000 over the next four years if he terminates his contract with Moses. Newcastle’s David Klemmer stands to save around $150,000 over the next three years, while Canberra skipper Josh Hodgson could earn an additional $80,000 over the next two seasons.

Moses also manages several coaches, including Brisbane’s Anthony Seibold, Newcastle’s Adam O’Brien and New Zealand’s Stephen Kearney.

A potential player exodus will compound a horrid six months for Moses, who has also lost Dally M medallist James Tedesco, Eels forward Nathan Brown and Catalans Dragons centre Israel Folau over a bitter dispute with former business partner and renowned player mentor Joe Wehbe.

Moses was hit with a breach notice by the NRL before Christmas last year, asking him to “show cause why his accreditation should not be suspended or cancelled as a result of the matters alleged”.

Moses management company, Cove Agency, issued a statement at the time which read: “Isaac Moses is defending the proceedings and strenuously denies any wrongdoing. We expect this will be resolved in the New Year.”

Six months later, the NRL confirmed “Mr Moses’ conduct was in breach of the rules that govern the conduct of NRL player agents”.

“Player agents have a very influential role in the game and with the players they represent,” NRL interim chief executive Andrew Abdo said.

“Where agents fail to adhere to the standards expected of them, we will intervene to take action under the NRL rules.

“That is what we have done in this case after a thorough investigation by the League’s Integrity & Compliance Unit.”

Mannah and Moses split last year in what would be Mannah’s final year in the blue and gold.

Mannah was contacted by the Herald on Tuesday night for comment.

Moses, who was given a six-month ban over his actions during the Melbourne Storm salary-cap scandal a decade ago, can apply to appeal his penalty before the independent appeals committee. Should he do so, he can continue to work.

Loading

James Tedesco was also on his books until they had a messy falling out and Tedesco linked with good friend and Moses’ former business partner Joe Wehbe. Tedesco said last August of his time with Moses and managers “I haven’t had the greatest experience”.

Former NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg and Moses were close friends, but Greenberg made sure he distanced himself from the investigation and placed chief operating officer Nick Weeks in charge.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading

About admin

Check Also

Prime time Gould backlash food for AFL thought

Gould was accused of being one-eyed and grudging in his congratulations, but he stuck to …