Barrett’s long-time agent Wayne Beavis said on Sunday he was still poring over the terms of Canterbury’s contract offer to the 42-year-old, who is expected to remain an assistant at high-flying Penrith for the rest of this season.
“There’s a fair bit to go through so we’ve got to get all of that done and dusted. The bloke [Pay] has only just walked out of the place. You don’t do it at the drop of a hat,” Beavis said.
“I’m just going through the motions of looking at contracts and checking everything and making sure the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed.”
Barrett will rejoin the ranks of NRL head coaches two years after his controversial exit from Manly, and Beavis makes no bones about the assignment in front of him at Canterbury should he sign.
“They’re running last, it’s a massive challenge,” he said. “But it’s one he’s up for.
“It’s a club steeped in rich history, it’s just gone through a lean period. It’s probably [in] a rebuild phase but it’s a very strong brand. It’s not a unique club because there are six and seven clubs in the same position in the bottom [half] of the ladder.”
Barrett at least won’t have his new team running around in a bare-fronted jersey when he arrives at Belmore, with the club close to naming a new major backer.
They were on the brink of signing a two-year agreement with restaurant chain Rashays earlier this year when their players Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera had their contracts deregistered by the NRL over a schoolgirl sex scandal in Port Macquarie.
Foran has been offered a new one-year contract by the Bulldogs, but at a cut-price rate compared to the more than $1 million a season he is earning on his current deal.
He has been eager to push for a higher valuation with on-field performances in the second half of the season and hopes to seize on the opportunity after being cleared of the injury.
Chris Barrett is Chief Sports Reporter of The Sydney Morning Herald.