Scottie Scheffler also misses a chance, as does Collin Morikawa though the latter’s was always going to be a tougher ask. Are the nerves beginning to set in?
Jason Day has putted brilliantly today but his chance to take the outright lead with a birdie on 15 never looked likely. But he’s lost nothing and remains alongside Dustin Johnson, who also misses his chance to go one clear, and co.
-10: Matthew Wolff (F-65), Jason Day (15), Tony Finau (14), Collin Morikawa (12), Dustin Johnson (11), Scottie Scheffler (11).
Another sensational putt and Jason Day moves to 10-under. Dustin Johnson has the chance to take the outright lead with a birdie putt but drops it just short on the 11th. Scheffler makes par on the 11th to also stay 10-under.
- -10: Dustin Johnson (11), Jason Day (14), Paul Casey (12), Collin Morikawa (11), Scottie Scheffler (10).
- -9 Tony Finau (13), Matthew Wolff (17).
- -8 Cameron Champ (12).
Meanwhile, in the US Women’s Amateur Championship, defending champion Gabi Ruffels has gone down in one of the toughest ways possible to 17-year-old Rose Zhang. Here’s hoping this is the extent of Australian golf heartbreak today.
Day’s tee shot on the 13th goes slightly awry, finding the rough but least he’s on the right side of those pesky trees. This comes one hole after he missed his first green of the day, his approach landing in the bunker before the Aussie saved par.
Time for another look at the crowded leaderboard.
How they line up
- -10: Dustin Johnson (thru 8), Paul Casey (10)
- -9: Jason Day (11), Tony Finau (11), Collin Morikawa (9), Scottie Scheffler (9)
- -8: Bryson DeChambeau (11), Justin Rose (11), Haotong Li (15), Matthew Wolff (14), Cameron Champ (9)
- -7: Jon Rahm (F-66), Patrick Reed (F-66), Xander Schauffele (15).
Day sinks the long putt this time and he’s just one shot off the lead now. Making his move at the right time.
And that was almost the big move we’ve been looking for. He just gives the eagle putt a bit too much but it looked good for a long time. But he moves to eight-under, just two off the lead, and that’s the first shot he’s picked up today since the first.
Here’s that putt from Champ on the sixth.