Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler was also the man who paid Foran $3 million to lure him to Belmore.
But Manly have little space to move in next year’s cap, and to have any chance of accommodating Foran would need to move on a player like Walker.
Walker only signed a two-year extension late last year, and the second year of his deal features a hefty pay increase.
He could, however, seek a longer-term contract at Canterbury and the chance to link with incoming coach Barrett.
Canterbury were prepared to pay around $450,000 next year, with more than $100,000 of that deal contingent on the 30-year-old playing a certain amount of games.
Negotiations fell over when Foran’s camp pushed for a second year. Foran only found out about Green, a 33-year-old now recovering from a ruptured ACL, when the club were about to announce his signing publicly late last week.
Foran told the Herald last week he was ”not going to kick stones” but knew there was no future at the Dogs.
The Knights also have appeal given the presence of Foran’s childhood friend Mitchell Pearce. But like Manly, Newcastle are not flush with funds for 2021.
Late last week, Andrew Johns said on his Nine segment Immortal Behaviour he would be a great fit for Newcastle and Pearce.
“That’d be a nice marriage up there,” Johns said. “I still think Kieran Foran has got at least two really quality years in his body.”
Meanwhile, Trbojevic will not be named for Saturday’s clash at home against the Wests Tigers and, while he is also tipped to miss Friday week’s Bulldogs clash, will return for the Titans and Warriors.
Manly are out of the finals but Trbojevic is desperate to get back playing football after such a lengthy lay-off. Had his latest scans come back with any concerns he was resigned to giving up on 202 altogether, but was relieved to receive positive results.
Sports news, results and expert commentary delivered straight to your inbox each weekday. Sign up here.
Christian covers rugby league for The Sydney Morning Herald.