Friday , October 30 2020
Breaking News
Home / AFL / Melbourne players apologise after inappropriate touching controversy

Melbourne players apologise after inappropriate touching controversy

Demons skipper Max Gawn said the players had a responsibility to be better.

“As AFL players, we are role models and have a responsibility to showcase the right behaviours to the wider AFL community,” Gawn said.

“On this occasion, we have clearly fallen short, and we own that this is not acceptable. Christian and Jayden know that this was an inappropriate act, which is not in line with our expectations, or that of the competition.

“As a playing group, we understand and respect the example we need to be setting, and will continue to reinforce this going forward.”

Richmond, St Kilda and Carlton have dealt with similar issues earlier this season. The Tigers and Saints incidents prompted the AFL to issue a statement condemning the behaviour.

Former Demon Jordan Lewis told Fox Footy that such behaviour was no longer acceptable.

“Players need to be aware that we live in a different environment now,” Lewis said.

“If it’s not mentioned on commentary, certainly social media will pick it up, and then when it gains traction the club and the AFL have to address it. They don’t need to be attending to these types of matters in such an important part of the year.

“Just don’t leave yourself open to this sort of criticism.”

About admin

Check Also

Done deal: Daniher to the Lions, pick No.7 for Essendon

Daniher was close to moving to Sydney last season in a trade but the Bombers …