There were 13,686 tests reported, down from 17,392 in the previous 24-hour period.
On Thursday, NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said the new locally-acquired case – the Sydney man in his 50s – has underlying health conditions and is being treated in Campbelltown Hospital’s ICU.
The man lived in a “supported accommodation” household for people with disabilities. Two other people living in the home have been tested.
Considering there were no additional local cases reported on Friday it is probable that they have not tested positive.
NSW Health is treating 71 COVID-19 cases, including two in intensive care.
From Friday, a new agriculture permit will allow workers to travel through NSW and Victoria, foreshadowing an expansion of the border zone.
The permit is available on the Services NSW website and comes with conditions, including self-isolation when not working, and personal protective equipment use.
There are 50,000 daily movements across the NSW-Victoria border, up from 20,000 before restrictions were eased and the zone expanded to a 50km radius earlier this month, Murray River Police District Commander Superintendent Paul Smith said
Justin Clancy, member for Albury, said discussions were ongoing with the NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard to extend the border zone.
“I’m also having conversations about making sure the government is thinking through the steps in terms of removal of the border full stop,” Mr Clancy said.
Victoria has reported 14 new cases and eight deaths on Friday. Melbourne’s 14-day average is 25 new cases. In regional Victoria, it’s below one.
Premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed more lockdown restrictions will be eased this weekend after declaring the state was winning the battle against coronavirus.
Queensland has announced no new cases overnight.
Kate Aubusson is Health Editor of The Sydney Morning Herald.
Mary Ward is a reporter at The Sydney Morning Herald.