A joint ABC and Nine investigation referring to Chinese-Australian businessman Chau Chak Wing was neither tabloid nor sensationalist and the Federal Court should not find it defamed him, the media outlets’ barrister has said.
On the third and final day of a defamation trial pitting Mr Chau against the media outlets, Victorian barrister Matthew Collins, QC, said the Four Corners report at the heart of the case went no further than raising suspicions about Mr Chau.
Mr Chau, who has previously donated more than $4 million to Australian political parties and substantially more to cultural and educational causes, is suing the ABC, Nine and journalist Nick McKenzie, an investigative reporter at The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald, over a Four Corners broadcast on June 5, 2017.
McKenzie, employed by Nine, presented the ABC program. The investigation included an accompanying article on the broadcaster’s website.