Sunday , October 25 2020
Breaking News
Home / Victoria News / Victoria records one new case of coronavirus, no deaths

Victoria records one new case of coronavirus, no deaths

“We are at a point where we only have a tiny handful of cases each day but the mystery cases are still averaging one a day,” Professor Sutton said.

“They are making up a bigger proportion of our daily total, in part because they are the hardest ones to find.”

The Victorian government had hoped to be under five mystery cases before October 19 in order to ease restrictions.

Premier Daniel Andrews said that any deficiencies in the state’s contact tracing capacity would not hamper Victoria’s next steps out of lockdown.

Loading

“The fact that we as a community… city and country… have been as stubborn as this virus in our resolve to defeat it, we are well placed to take significant steps on Sunday,” he told a press conference on Friday.

“On Sunday, I very much look forward to giving people a sense of what the coming weeks will look like.

“[Contact tracing] capabilities are not a factor on Sunday.”

Earlier this week, Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng floated the possibility of a 20km travel radius for those living in metropolitan Melbourne, an extension of the current 5km radius.

Loading

He warned the city’s cafe and restaurant owners, they would be unlikely to open, saying it would “not be safe” to give hospitality venues the green light to host patrons from next week.

“But if we can take other steps to give people back some of the things that they love, some of the things that given them a sense of normality … then they’re the sorts of decisions we’re looking to make on Sunday,” Mr Andrews said on Friday.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged the state government to “as far as possible” when easing restrictions on Sunday.

He said that Victorians, and particularly Melburnians, “have kept up their side of the bargain” by abiding by strict lockdown measures and had suffered as a result.

Victoria’s inquiry into the state’s hotel quarantine program will reconvene next week for an ‘extraordinary hearing, but no details around who will be called to give evidence have been released.

It comes as The Age and Sydney Morning Herald revealed that Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton actively authorised an email on the day in March that the state’s hotel quarantine was set up, telling the federal government that private security guards were going to be used to guard returning travellers.

With Craig Butt

Trump Biden 2020

Our weekly newsletter will deliver expert analysis of the race to the White House from our US correspondent Matthew Knott. Sign up for The Sydney Morning Herald‘s newsletter here, The Age‘s here, Brisbane Timeshere and WAtoday‘s here

Most Viewed in National

Loading

About admin

Check Also

Melbourne’s biggest step out of second wave hinges on Sunday’s test results

“If we can do that we will. But the appropriate thing to do, if you …