The 22-year-old Almeida now leads Dutchman Wilco Kelderman (Sunweb) by 40 seconds.
“We did a great job on the last climb to drop the sprinters and arrive with a small group. [Teammate Brandon] McNulty was very good in the final, how nice to get another success in the Giro,” said Ulissi, who also won the second stage in this year’s edition.
Saturday’s 14th stage is a 34.1km individual time trial between Conegliano and Valdobbiadene.
The Giro is being held amid growing COVID-19 fears after two teams, the Australian-registered Mitchelton-Scott squad as well as Dutch outfit Jumbo-Visma, pulled out earlier this week following positive tests for coronavirus.
Meanwhile, Australian Michael Matthews has returned two negative test results for COVID-19 after testing positive for the virus on the first rest day of the Giro, which he consequently withdrew from.
Matthews (Sunweb) did not start stage 10 on Tuesday after it was announced he was one of eight people across five teams who tested positive on the first rest day on Monday.
The 30-year-old sprinter underwent a rapid test on Tuesday, which was negative and another PCR test on Wednesday that also came back negative. However, his Sunweb team in a statement on Friday said the two negative results did not prove the test taken on the rest day in Italy was a false positive.
“This is good news as Michael is also feeling good and still without symptoms. The first PCR test remains to be a reliable snapshot of that moment. The two negative tests since do not mean Monday’s test was a proven false positive,” a team spokesman said in a statement to Cyclingnews.
Sunweb, who are abiding by strict internal testing protocols as well as those set out by race organiser RCS, has supported the continuation of the Giro despite the exit of two teams and pressure from others to end the race before it is due to finish in Milan on October 25.
“These strict procedures are in place to ensure health, whilst at the same time allowing professional cycling to take place in these challenging times of COVID-19,” the spokesman said.
“This is in the interest of all of pro cycling’s stakeholders and the fans to show that professional cycling can still exist in this COVID-19 era.”
Reuters – with staff writers