The majority of police will travel to the border from Melbourne, drawing criticism from the Victorian opposition, who called it a waste of police resources.
Opposition police spokesman David Southwick said Mr Andrews should call on the Australian Defence Force to enforce the hard border.
“Certainly we’ve got to do what we can to keep Victorians safe, but when we’ve got the ADF at our beck and call then I can’t see why the Premier Daniel Andrews doesn’t pick up the phone, get the ADF out, and ensure we’ve got Victoria Police doing the job that they need to do on the streets,” he said.
Mr Andrews said he spoke to Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Thursday, who supported the decision, but the Premier did not deem ADF support necessary.
As Victoria recorded its 20th consecutive day with zero new coronavirus cases – leaving the state eight days from the general definition of eliminating the virus – the Premier said the SA outbreak would not affect Sunday’s further easing of restrictions in Victoria.
“I think that we are well placed to make the changes that I foreshadowed a couple of weeks ago,” Mr Andrews said, referring to an expected upgrade to allow 10 visitors in the home, up to 200 people outdoors at hospitality venues, public gatherings of 50 people and changes to mask rules.
Portland District Health chief executive Christine Giles said the preliminary positive test from the wastewater was unexpected and concerning.
But she stressed the result did not mean there was an active case of COVID-19 in the community.
“The presence of coronavirus fragments in the wastewater however could mean we have or have had an active COVID-19 case in Portland recently. If this is the case it is very important we find them, to halt the spread of COVID-19 quickly,” Ms Giles said.
In north-east Victoria, Benalla Rural City mayor Danny Claridge said there was no cause for alarm.
“Seeing there’s no positive cases in Victoria it’s very unlikely it’s a positive case,” he said.
Barwon Health director of infectious diseases, Eugene Athan, said a contact tracing team had been “reactivated” in Geelong while a crew was on standby to travel to Portland to help with testing if necessary.
He said contact tracers were also in touch with a small number of people who recently returned from South Australia and were required to self-isolate.
“We are monitoring it very closely,” Professor Athan said.
The SA outbreak recorded no new cases on Thursday but it has so far infected 23 people, including a part-time security guard, who picked up COVID-19 in an Adelaide quarantine hotel before working for 10 days in a pizza restaurant while infectious.
Mr Andrews has revealed the first details of Victoria’s revamped hotel quarantine program, which will be established before Christmas.
All workers will be contracted directly by the government to avoid the confusion and poor training of private security guards that occurred in the state’s first hotel quarantine iteration. Workers will also be advance contact traced to gauge their level of risk.
“For instance, we don’t want a situation where someone is sharing a house with an aged care worker. That would be an unreasonable risk,” Mr Andrews said.
Two flights from Adelaide with 237 passengers arrived at Melbourne Airport on Wednesday, before SA’s lockdown began, Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed.
About 70 per cent of those passengers were tested for COVID-19 upon arrival, with the remainder deemed not to require a test because they had originally come from low-risk areas such as Western Australia. All tests were negative.
Under the border closure, only South Australians with an essential reason to leave the state will be allowed to fly into Melbourne, where they will be met by Victorian health officials.
Michael is a state political reporter for The Age.
Benjamin is The Age’s regional editor. He was previously state rounds reporter and has also covered education for The Age.