American Madison Keys also said on Thursday, US time, that she had tested positive for COVID-19 and would miss the Australian Open.
The world no.16 said she returned a positive result before she was due to travel to Australia and is now self-isolating at her home. “I’m very disappointed to not be able to play in the coming weeks after training hard in the off-season and knowing Tennis Australia and the tours did so much to make these events happen,” the 25-year-old tweeted.
Murray had received a wildcard from Australian Open organisers to participate in this year’s event, delayed by three weeks and starting at Melbourne Park on February 8.
Murray is a former world No.1 and three-times major champion who has slipped in the rankings in recent years following hip surgery.
After getting the wildcard, Murray pulled out of last week’s season-opening event in Florida, putting concerns about contracting COVID-19 ahead of getting more tournament time in before the Australian Open.
“After much deliberation with my team, I’ve decided not to travel to play at Delray Beach,” Murray said at the start of the month. “Given the increase in COVID rates and the transatlantic flights involved, I want to minimise the risks ahead of the Australian Open.
“I’m really thankful for the understanding of the tournament and I look forward to playing there soon.”
The world’s leading players and biggest names, including Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem and American Serena Williams are travelling to Adelaide where they will quarantine for 14 days in an ‘exclusive’ bubble before travelling to Melbourne.
Some other players have already pulled out of the Open due to the quarantine requirements. Roger Federer will the most notable absentee, after declaring he hadn’t fully recovered from knee surgery.