Channel Nine expects that Eddie McGuire will host Wednesday night’s episode of Footy Classified.
While McGuire is yet to tell Nine, the owner of this masthead, that he will definitely return to the show, a network source told The Age they were expecting the former Collingwood president would take the host’s seat.
The program returns to television on Monday night with Craig Hutchison hosting, and viewers will be told that it’s expected McGuire will be on air on Wednesday night.
However, Fox Footy is not expecting McGuire to return to the caller’s box for the opening round of the AFL season.
McGuire has not spoken publicly since he resigned from the Magpies presidency last month.
The 56-year-old was widely criticised for his response to Collingwood’s internal ‘Do Better’ report, which found a culture of systemic racism, after he described its release as a “historic and proud day” for the club.
In his emotional press conference, McGuire said he intended to take time away from his regular media roles.