Thursday , April 22 2021
Breaking News
Home / National News / Australian father-of-eight accused of supporting Syrian terrorist

Australian father-of-eight accused of supporting Syrian terrorist

An Australian father-of-eight will remain behind bars after he was denied bail during his first appearance in a Queensland court, accused of helping a terrorist arrange to travel to Syria to fight against government forces in 2013.

Ahmed Luqman Talib, 31, from Doncaster East in Melbourne’s north-east, was extradited from Victoria and applied for bail in Brisbane Arrest Courts on Monday after he and Gabriel Crazzi, 34, from Chambers Flat, south of Brisbane, were arrested in a counter-terrorism sting on Thursday.

Ahmed Luqman Talib in 2010 on the Gold Coast.

Ahmed Luqman Talib in 2010 on the Gold Coast.Credit:Kate Geraghty

Mr Talib is charged with one count of preparations for foreign incursions into foreign states for purpose of engaging in hostile activities between September 1, 2013 and October 1, 2020.

He was born in Britain, left there aged four and eventually made his way to Australia. His father is a biostatistics professor and Mr Talib runs the family gemstone business, Talib & Sons.

Mr Talib completed a bachelor of international relations at Bond University on the Gold Coast in 2012.

Prosecutor Clare O’Connor said Mr Talib allegedly provided “information and advice for the safe passage of witness 1 into Syria”. The witness co-operated with the Australian Federal Police, which led to the arrests.

“Witness 1 provided direct evidence of the applicant meeting him and introducing him to another person who could help with travel to Syria,” Ms O’Connor told the Brisbane Arrest Court on Monday.

“The Crown case is comprised of investigations and analysis of movements and communications between these persons [the three at the alleged meeting] over a number of years.

“The applicant took steps to conceal his behaviour, he has previously used an encrypted mobile device.

About admin

Check Also

Gold bullion, luxury cars and cash seized in alleged $10 million NDIS scam

Six people have been arrested after allegedly swindling $10 million from the National Disability Insurance …