“Many Australians onshore don’t seem to understand that if I don’t have a visa here I can’t work which makes things worse financially and for the Australian government to say to us to ‘ask family and friends for money’ is disgraceful.”
Marotta says she is now financially dependent upon her boyfriend until she can get a flight home, something for which she says she is grateful.
But she says she should not be forced into this situation as a result of Australia’s policies.
Britain’s Home Office has been extending visas for Australians or citizens “where a nation has closed their borders or where quarantine facilities are temporarily oversubscribed” following a request by the Australian government last year.
Australians in Britain are being quoted fares of $10,000 for flights home in September.
The federal government has said it will increase the number of Qantas repatriation flights to Darwin for Howard Springs quarantine to 29 to offset the drastic reduction in commercial flights.
A Qantas repatriation flight due to depart London for Howard Springs later this month sold out in just three minutes last week.
A spokeswoman for American Airlines said they would be flying 20 empty flights from Los Angeles into Sydney over the next two months.
“On certain days in July and August, the Australian government has advised that we’re not able to transport customers on the route due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic,” the spokeswoman said.
“We’ll reach out to customers scheduled to travel on the affected flights to offer alternate arrangements.”
There are currently no direct flights between LAX and Sydney available until August 30 after next week and American Airlines is not accepting new bookings for AA-operated flights until January.
Barry Abrams from the Board of Airline Representatives of Australia (BARA) said the government’s Qantas-operated repatriation flights would do nothing to clear the growing backlog of Australians trying to get home.
“They would probably bring in about 1700 passengers and we’ve bumped the better part of 20,000 so that is a very small increase that they can realistically do given the large numbers that we are bumping,” he said.
The cuts to the flight caps mean that on Wednesday, a total 237 people are expected to arrive in New South Wales compared to 447 last Wednesday according to data supplied by BARA.
The number of freight-only flights, or completely passenger-less flights today has increased to 16 compared to 11 last week meaning they now outnumber those carrying Australians.
Abrams said if the caps continue at their reduced rate beyond August 31, airlines would start pulling flights or abandon Australia altogether.
Abrams said many airlines hadn’t pulled out of Australia yet because the flights were scheduled months in advance including rostering and paying of flight crew.
But he said this could change after August 31, when the national cabinet decides if it will continue with the reduced caps for the remainder of the year.
“That will be a trigger for them to start reevaluating these flights quite closely,” he said.
“Then it might well become more commercially rational for airlines to even cease a number of the cargo-only flights because there might well be opportunities to use them properly as passenger aircraft for countries that are gradually reopening, such as in Europe.”
Abrams called on governments to show what evidence it has that cutting the number of people allowed into Australia will substantially reduce the risk of a COVID outbreak.
“We’re yet to see any research or evidence on how cutting the caps substantially reduces the risk of COVID,” he said.
New South Wales will continue to bear the heaviest load of quarantining returning Australians, accepting 1505 per week with Queensland in second place, accepting 650 arrivals, followed by Victoria’s 500 and 265 each in WA and South Australia.
Get a note direct from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for the weekly What in the World newsletter here.