The Porsche driver who filmed dying police officers in the aftermath of a fatal Eastern Freeway crash will apply for bail next month after spending almost 13 of the past 15 months in jail.
Richard Pusey, who has completed his 10-month jail term for outraging public decency and other offences, remains in custody on unrelated charges stemming from an incident at his home in December last year.
Emergency services were called to the mortgage broker’s property late that night and police had to negotiate to get him off the roof.
A previous court hearing heard the prosecution and defence were in discussions to resolve the matter and five of the eight charges would probably be withdrawn, including accusations he threatened to kill his partner and placed her in danger of serious injury by putting a noose around her neck.
The charges that would remain include using a carriage service to menace by “sending abusive and derogatory text messages and phone calls” between December 25 and 28 last year, and an alleged assault against his wife. Pusey has indicated he is contesting the assault charge.
In the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday morning, the court heard negotiations between the prosecution and defence were ongoing.
Pusey was represented by a new lawyer, Rainer Martini, who said he was formally engaged three weeks ago. Mr Martini said there had been some issues in obtaining the brief of evidence from the other solicitors, and funding had only been secured last week, which had resulted in some delays.
He said he was in discussions with the prosecution to resolve the matter.