Wednesday , January 19 2022
Home / Victoria News / ‘Maintained my innocence from the outset’: Indecent assault charge withdrawn against Jordan De Goey

‘Maintained my innocence from the outset’: Indecent assault charge withdrawn against Jordan De Goey

“At this time I would also like to indicate my respect to all parties associated with the prosecution of this charge and out of that respect I will not be making any further public comment on this matter.”

A Collingwood spokesman said the club accepted that the matter had been “investigated thoroughly and dealt with by the appropriate authorities”.

“At all stages, Collingwood has respected the legal process and the individuals involved. Collingwood will not be making any further comment,” he said.

In court on Monday, Mr De Goey’s lawyer Dermot Dann, QC, said in light of the “successful outcome” for his client, he would be making an application for legal costs.

He said Mr De Goey sought $15,000 from police, which was not opposed by the prosecution.

A similar application was made by Mr Edginton’s lawyer Jessica Wilkinson for $6300. The magistrate granted the application and ordered police to pay the legal costs within three months.

Full statement from Jordan De Goey

The charge that I faced until today arose out of events that took place in June 2015. Since that time I have cooperated with the AFL integrity investigation, the police investigation and the court process with respect to this matter.

I have maintained my innocence from the outset. I am very pleased that the matter has now come to an end. I’d like to thank my family, friends, teammates, sponsors, Collingwood Football Club and my lawyers, Tony Hargreaves and Dermot Dann QC, for all of their support throughout this process.

At this time I would also like to indicate my respect to all parties associated with the prosecution of this charge and out of that respect I will not be making any further public comment on this matter.

Mr De Goey, dressed in a suit and wearing a black face mask, did not speak during the short hearing. He appeared via video link from his lawyer’s office.

Police, Collingwood and the AFL’s integrity unit investigated the alleged incident in 2018 but Mr De Goey was not charged until July last year.

He was not stood down by his club or the AFL after he was charged but missed a large chunk of last season after he suffered a finger injury.

In separate court proceedings, Mr De Goey indicated last month he will plead guilty to a handful of driving and road offences.

Those charges include driving while suspended, using a hand-held mobile phone and not wearing a compliant motorbike helmet. A plea hearing for the charges will be heard on September 3.

With Adam Cooper

The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

About admin

Check Also

Federal cash cut-off leaves Victorian businesses in limbo

Simon Thewlis from the industry group Save Victorian Events said the entire sector remained in …