Saturday , September 25 2021
Breaking News
Home / National News / ‘We are using everything we’ve got’: Health Minister lashes out at vax rollout

‘We are using everything we’ve got’: Health Minister lashes out at vax rollout

He also said 394,000 vaccine doses were available to Queensland which it had not ordered. Mr Hunt’s office was not immediately able to clarify the timeframes and vaccines being referred to.

After a round of political point-scoring between the state and Commonwealth over vaccine allocations in August, Ms D’Ath said late on Tuesday: “Last time the Commonwealth offered us extra vaccines, it turned out they were only offering to deliver what had already been ordered.”

Earlier, Ms D’Ath accused the federal government of changing the rules “overnight” in June, and not providing additional stock for second doses.

“That meant from June on, we are now only having half of the vaccine available for first doses,” she told reporters on Tuesday morning.

Deputy Premier Steven Miles said Queensland was racing to get as many people vaccinated before the Delta strain arrives.

Loading

“We would be able to get more people vaccinated in that window if we had more vaccines,” he said.

“It’s also incredible to see the nerve of Greg Hunt, to be out there criticising Queenslanders, calling us laggards, when he knows full well how many vaccines he’s taking from Queensland to give to New South Wales.”

Mr Miles said the diverted doses were coming from the Commonwealth’s share, with the split of the rollout between the states and the federal government now closer to 60 per cent and 40 per cent, rather than 70 per cent and 30 per cent.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she understood the need for NSW to receive more vaccines as it was “going through a really tough time”.

“Please don’t pick a fight when another state is getting more vaccines,” she said, her comments directed at her federal counterparts.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young announce a new vaccination hub at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre at Boondall.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young announce a new vaccination hub at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre at Boondall.Credit:Matt Dennien

Ms Palaszczuk did not answer a question about how many doses destined for Queensland were being redirected to NSW, instead saying “it needs to be a partnership with the state working with the Commonwealth”.

She said the government was doing projections on when Queensland would hit 80 per cent vaccination rates based on supply forecasts.

Asked if Queenslanders would be able to travel interstate when 80 per cent of eligible people were vaccinated, and if that would be by Christmas, Ms Palaszczuk said, “I hope so”.

Loading

“But we just need to see, it’s when the whole of the country gets to that stage, but we already do have states that are open to travel,” she said.

The Premier was speaking at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre at Boondall, which will become a mass vaccination hub from Wednesday, with an initial 1500 bookings offered a day, ramping up to 3000 daily next week.

Ms Palaszczuk said text messages would soon be sent to Queenslanders telling them where they could get vaccinated.

“Don’t hesitate, because we are seeing what is happening in New South Wales,” she said.

Queensland recorded no new cases of coronavirus in the community or in hotel quarantine on Tuesday.

The result came despite concerns after a truck driver passed the virus to a four-year-old girl – both of whom were in the community while infectious – and her mother.

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said two more people who attended the Stylish Nails contact-tracing site had come forward and were tested.

“There’s still one or two other people, I believe, who did attend. Please, if they could come forward so we could check with them,” she said.

Overnight, more than 900 families whose children attend Windaroo State School, where the four-year-old child visited, were released from quarantine after Dr Young said she was satisfied the risk was sufficiently low.

“All 20 contacts in the room and the 29 who visited Mount Warren [Park] School have all come back with negative results, as have the 36 students from the before- and after-school care,” she said.

However, before- and after-school care at the early learning centre remains a close contact location and those families will need to quarantine for 14 days.

There were 12,649 tests performed on Monday and 18,092 vaccinations given by Queensland Health.

The Morning Edition newsletter is your guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

About admin

Check Also

Mayhem and sadness in a week Melbourne finally snapped

The moment construction workers lost any public sympathy they might have had was lunchtime last …